Friday, March 30, 2012

Chimzar - Counter Spell Friday: CMC 5

Happy Counter Spell Friday where I weekly (or soon to be weekly) talk about the most powerful spells in Magic, counter spells.  I know it is very late on Friday that I am posting this, but its not Saturday yet and that’s what counts.  Counter spells are what make noncreature spells interactive.  Without them players would just play their hand until they win instead of having interaction.  Today I am going to talk about my favorite counter spell and designing others like it.  So, my favorite counter spell is CMC 5, can be used with a different cost and makes me smile whenever I cast it.  Here is a link.

Now you probably think I am crazy as there are many far better counter spells, but it is truly a great design.  First and far the greatest reason is that it is constructed playable.  Back in Shards block it fit in great as its early mana fixing was amazing for blue and countering a spell late game was also great.  Its costs led into when you would want to use either part.  Second, whenever I countered a spell with it, I just had to smile.  There is just something about paying five for a counter spell.

There are only 6 CMC counter spells in all of Magic’s history.  Most top out at 4 as most second abilities are fair at 4.  The spell really has to be unique or powerful to cost 5.  Traumatic Visions does something blue never does by fixing your mana.  Force of Will is "Free" or cost above average.  Desertion steals the spell.  What all of these have in common is that when you play them you are getting serious bang for your buck.


The design examples I have for you today are to show reasons for having a counter spell at CMC 5.  Obviously the more powerful of counter spell the more it should cost. 


Second, if you bleed colors (say to white or black) the CMC should go up compared to its blue counter parts.


Lastly, the more a spell does the more it should cost.  My examples are combinations of two colors. 


I hope you enjoy Counter Spell Friday and I’ll be back with more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment