Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pitzer - Green goes Blue

Big creatures are fun for beginners and experts alike in the game of magic.  Lets be completely honest, the first time that we all saw Cthulhu, we all decided that he was gonna be fun to not only cast, but even more fun to turn sideways.  Emmy is the mother of all Timmy cards, and I have always found them fun, but they don't seem to be as good across the 5 colors.  Green has always been a powerhouse of big fat fatties, yet every other color has never had a truly big dude that was cast easily.  In black you get hurt, in blue you need an island, and normally your opponent does too, and red has never looked to big dudes to live, let alone white which always has evasion or a GIANT butt.  This is why I am going to make a big dude, that has the flavor of its color, yet is easier to cast then most of its counterparts in each color.  Up first is BLUE!!!

Blue has leviathans and krakens alike, but every time I see one, I always think that I would never actually want to cast it, as I would plan forever and then watch it die to a simple removal spell.  Recently, they have gotten shroud and hexproof, and that seems to fit in my mind.  A Leviathan or Kraken is below the water until it attacks, so it would seem like an easy plan that they should not be able to be targeted, so that is one ability that had to be added.

To keep with the flavor of the color, Islandwalk was necessary.  Every big dude that actually wants to see play in blue has had that ability.  I want to shift the color pie but I just knew that adding this keyword was necessary.

Finally thought is that I wanted a static ability that is BEYOND powerful.  It seems like fun and a big dude should effect more than just the current board state.  These are the abilities that I wanted to add, so lets see what dumb idea I came up with:





Talk about playing in the ocean!!!!

So here it is, Kraken of the Deep.  It has the simple look of Blue's average big dude, but I hope it isn't just average.

First up is the question of difficulty to cast.  This guy has a simple casting cost and has no extra needs when it enters the battlefield.  It is a cost of 8,  so it is not that easy to cast.  And as i mentioned, it has keywords that fit the flavor.  I feel like Hexproof may be shroud, but being able to help your personal kraken seems fair enough as he does your bidding, most of the time.  which leads me to the next and possibly more important aspect, the static abilities.

Blood Moon is good....  It really is.  When I first made the card it was a blood moon for Islands.  then I thought that I should make it all lands, realizing that was TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  good, so i went back to Blood moon.  It has the flavor that when the Kraken enters the water/battlefield, your lands get flooded and that in order to help yourself, you need to hurt yourself.  Creating a situation where destroying your own lands is not impossible and cards like boil will hurt you as much as your opponent.  

The next ability is the one that many have.  It is a water creature and can't attack you unless there is water to travel through.  Simple enough.
It is a 6/8, tough to kill, and can be stopped by only playing basics....  but he looks fun and appears to have an appeal to the masses.

One thing that I will mention before I sign off is that I know this card is powerful, but I do not think it to unreasonable.  You can race and it is not unkillable, just difficult.  

Pitzer

2 comments:

  1. After some thought Ive changed it.

    It is now a 5/8, without Islandwalk and Hexproof. It now has trample!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want it to get to wordy, but maybe you could have it come into play tapped, signifying it ploping into the water. CANNON BALL!!!

    ReplyDelete